Saturday, December 1, 2012

Advent Nature Table

Today, we began to make our home ready for the King who has already come, but comes again each year. It is a mystery and Advent allows us the time to explore this mystery. (For a lovely meditation on this idea, click here.)

My 9-year-old son and I began to work on our Advent nature table together. As I looked around at the things we had to work with, the idea of making an Advent calendar with stones came to mind. Since my son is an avid rock collector, he thought this was a great idea. 


We selected 24 stones, and my son decided that the last three would be special stones to represent the gifts of the Three Wise Men. The wooden nativity figures are from our Godly Play set, but we used the Baby Jesus from our nature nativity that we made last year. 


Each day we remove a stone and the shepherds and Wise Men move closer to Bethlehem and Baby Jesus.

My son added a this tower of blocks here to represent Herod's palace that the Wise Men will visit along the way. He first learned about the terrible slaughter of the innocents last year. It reminds us of the real danger that Baby Jesus was in soon after his birth, and how God used his wise parents, Mary and Joseph to protect him. 



Have a wonderful First Advent tomorrow!



Linked to Sharing Saturday at Crafty Moms Share


and Montessori Monday at Living Montessori Now


and Waldorf Wednesday at Seasons of Joy


and Kids Get Crafty at Red Ted's Art Blog

and Friday's Nature Table at The Magic Onions


and Eco-Kids Tuesday Link-Up at Like Mama - Like Daughter


18 comments:

  1. Many blessings for Advent, Sheila. Wonderful ideas for an advent calendar and great pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David! May your Advent be blessed as well!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this! Another terrific idea! Much less expensive and easier to store than my advent spiral (which I love but is hard to store!) Love the way you used that space over your radiator--good use for an awkward space!

    Blessings,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table has finally clarified to me what a "nature table" is and I appreciate it. It's very beautiful in look and heart. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful, meaningful Advent activity, Sheila! Of course, I enjoy all your activities. I featured your post and photo in my Montessori-inspired Nativity Activities post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/12/07/montessori-inspired-nativity-activities-and-focus-on-the-nativity-blog-hop/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is truly amazing! My son will love this next year when we do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! What an amazing activity. I love it!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I reallylike this idea. Please consider sharing it atour Eco-Kids Tuesday Link-Up: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/12/eco-kids-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invitation, Hannah! I won't have internet access this week, but I'll post it the week after. Also, if you have any Christmas or Advent ideas, please feel free to post them on our Christmas link-up as well.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, that is lovely. Love the stone path. Gorgeous.

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just amazing and very simply perfect.

    Thank you so much for linking up to Waldorf Wednesday. I hope we'll see you back this week!
    http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/advent/waldorf-wednesday-15/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sheila! I wanted pop in and let you know that I featured your advent nature table this week at Eco Kids Tuesday! I love it! Happy New Year!

    http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/night-weaning-again-and-eco-kids.html

    ReplyDelete